Monday 10 December 2012

D.M. Jarrett, author of Sean Yeager And The DNA Thief

Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief by D.M. Jarrett is available for Kindle from Amazon:
US: Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief by D.M. Jarrett
UK: Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief by D.M. Jarrett

Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief is the
first book in the Sean Yeager series.
Author Quiz interviews D.M. Jarrett...

What are you working on now and what projects and ideas do you have lined up next?
I’m currently writing the follow-up to ‘The DNA Thief’, which will be called ‘Hunters Hunted’. I’m about halfway through at the time of writing and it’s planned for a 2013 release. Hunters Hunted builds on the themes and events of The DNA Thief while also being a self-contained story. My aim is to explore the worlds of Sean Yeager and his companions more with each story. The overall ‘grand story arc’ is something else I’m constantly working on as the action ramps up with each adventure. It’s becoming pretty big in all respects. 

Besides this I have some ideas for an adult / young adult piece that I’m sketching out. It would be a dark comedy thriller if it grows legs and takes-off.

What came first, the idea for your first book or the decision to write a book?
Actually the spur to write the first book was a set of short stories I wrote which some children we know really liked. It was their enthusiasm and the directions their imaginations took the characters that made me think ‘I can really do something with this’. I expanded and re-pitched the themes for a broader and older audience and presto Sean Yeager was born.

Would Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief work best as a movie adaptation or as a TV series?
I write for film and possibly animation. My mind works visually and I have deliberately written the Sean Yeager stories to be readily adaptable for the big screen. For me the books are the beginning, there’s so much more I would like to do with the Sean Yeager world. Of course the stories have to be really good to drive everything else and hence that’s where I direct most of my energy. Fingers crossed over time the film industry will notice Sean Yeager and pick up on the possibilities.

Have you ever written a supporting character who took on a life of their own or turned out to be far more popular than expected and if so do you have plans to feature them as the lead character in a story of their own?
I have a number of characters really shouting for more attention, it’s as much as I can do to keep them in their roles! And yes there are several directions I would like to develop prequel, sequel and parallel stories for, I just need more hours in the day to pursue those ideas really. Also you need to be careful that any spin-offs can really work so I'll be very careful to balance it appropriately.


LEGO® Star Wars™: Introducing the Yoda Chronicles


When deciding on your book title what influences you most; potential sales or artistic integrity?
Neither. I go where the story arc leads. I do try and attract readers and I have complete reign over the decisions. However, the series demands a particular sequence of adventures and I fall in line with that and interpret what a good title would be for the next work. Then I do as I’m told by the characters and write it all down. Of course I’m jesting, actually I rule them with an iron fist.

How do you see the publishing industry changing over the next few years? 
I see it changing for the better. I believe there are huge opportunities for what I call ‘curating’. As the barriers to entry diminish and readers gain more power through better choice and better pricing the next big thing will be ‘is it really any good?’ and ‘who can I trust?’ The people who add the value in those areas will do extremely well in my view. Readers see through promotional campaigns more and more. For these reasons I believe in sticking with your values and persisting until it’s your work’s turn to be 'discovered'.

Do you have a favourite review or has anyone expressed a particularly nice compliment about your writing which stands out as your most memorable piece of praise?
Someone once told me I have ‘a lightness of touch’ in my writing and I was very flattered to hear it. I’m not so good at taking compliments by and large as I believe in constantly improving, however it is good for the morale to know that you have done something right in the eyes of a reader.

Would you rather have great reviews but average sales or great sales but average reviews?
I would prefer to have a large readership enjoying the books and enough to fund the next book. I’m not concerned with the detail of reviews as such because by and large they tend to polarise, a bit like newspaper stories. I’m far more interested in entertaining the readers and hearing their thoughts about where they would like the series to go next. I have plenty of plans myself but I find it fascinating to hear readers really ‘get’ the themes behind Sean Yeager and explore new directions, because the themes are fairly deep and universal. I also leave a lot of open questions in the stories for precisely this reason - life events rarely end with a 'happy every after' explanation.

Which book more than any other have you read and thought, 'I wish I'd written this book'?
There are several books that I love and would have embarked on if the stories had not already been conceived and delivered. Of course there are some great authors throughout history. I’d rather not say which ones as I think everyone needs some small amount of mystery and I keep changing my mind which I like the most.

What sort of audience will the Sean Yeager Adventures most appeal to?
Pretty much everyone. The stories will appeal most to teens, tweens and people who like a light read. I have had some great feedback from adults who enjoy the genre and ‘get’ the puns and twists. In writing the books I have sought to entertain all comers and the depth of plots reflect this. I suggest that if you like adventure stories (or films / TV) with sci-fi and comedy you will most likely enjoy Sean Yeager. Try one and see. We’re an inclusive tribe.

. . . . . . . .

Thanks for your comments, David, and good luck with your writing.

. . . . . . . .

Find out more about Sean Yeager at the official Sean Yeager Adventures website and blog:
Website: www.seanyeager.com
Blog: seanyeageradventures.wordpress.com

. . . . . . . .

Sean Yeager links:
Twitter: @SeanYeagerAdv
Facebook: Sean Yeager

. . . . . . . .

Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief by D.M. Jarrett is available for Kindle from Amazon:
US: Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief by D.M. Jarrett
UK: Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief by D.M. Jarrett

No comments:

Post a Comment