Saturday 25 May 2013

John Scanlan, author of Of Guilt and Innocence

Of Guilt and Innocence by John Scanlan is available for Kindle from Amazon:
US: Of Guilt and Innocence by John Scanlan
UK: Of Guilt and Innocence by John Scanlan
 
Of Guilt and Innocence by John Scanlan
Of Guilt and Innocence by John Scanlan

A missing five year old Boca Raton girl.  An elderly murder victim in Davie connected to a long dormant serial killer.  Two frantic police investigations searching for and finding the truth.  About everyone.

. . . . . . . .

Author Quiz interviews John Scanlan...

Is there anything about you or your writing that makes you unique from other authors?
Writing began for me quite out of the blue.  It was a secret hobby that I one day decided to give a shot.  I have been a police officer in Palm Beach, Florida, for the past 8 years and it goes without saying that being a police officer influences my writing.  But I feel what sets me apart from other crime writers isn't that I know proper policy and procedures police officers and detectives would follow.  It's that I know the emotions of first responders.  I know what investigators go through when they deal with difficult situations.  And as a father of two small daughters I know how that then affects your perspective on things.  I tend to portray those emotions more in my writing than others because, even though it is often overlooked, it is a major part of criminal investigations.

If you were to write a novel outside your usual genre, which genre would you like to experiment with and why?
I would LOVE to write a comedy.  I have a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor.  I enjoy making people laugh but I don't like taking the easiest route to it.  I really like comedies that not only make you laugh but make you think.  And it just so happens I have one in the works!

If you were to write a story featuring a fictional character from any movie of your choice, who would you choose and why?
My favorite movie is The Big Lebowski.  So my obvious choice would be "The Dude".  I love the character in the film because he's a deadbeat and hippy, but he's also got a sharp sense of humor.  It's what makes the movie great.  Though he claims to be a pacifist, his sarcasm and, at times, ornery attitude suggest otherwise.  Working him into a crime novel would be a blast.  That actually give me an idea...

If you could invite one character from your novel to a dinner party who would it be and why?
I'd have to say the character I'd enjoy hosting would be Jim Brekkenridge.  He tells it like it is and doesn't care who's feelings he hurts.  I'd enjoy a candid conversation with him I think.

Do you have any useful marketing tips for other authors?
Think outside the box.  Unless you're signed to a big publishing house chances are just having a book published won't be enough to draw reader's interests.  Think about what makes a good story to sell your story.  I'm a police officer who wrote a novel.  Not something you find every day.  Working that angle was much better for me than simply saying "Hey!  John Scanlan wrote a crime novel and it sells at Amazon."

What are some of your favourite quotes from reviews that you've received?
Early on when my book was released, the first sets of reviews I received were from family and friends.  Not exactly objective.  But I remember the first objective piece of feedback I received from a reader.  She compared me to Michael Connelly.  I was high on that for days.

Would you rather sell 1000 books at $10/£10 each or 2000 books at $1/£1, i.e. what gives you the greater sense of satisfaction; overall earnings or overall sales?
First, I'd be lying if I told you I don't care how much money I make on my novel, Of Guilt and Innocence.  That being said, I would get a much greater sense of satisfaction from overall sales.  To me, it's about laying a foundation for the future.  I want to get my novel in as many hands as possible.  Not so much for monetary reasons, but to build a readership for the future.  If I sell 2000 books at $1 per copy I might make less than 1000 books at $10 a copy, however, I have a greater potential for my next book to be successful.

What advice would you give to a new author who has just finished writing their first novel and is unsure as to what steps to take next?
For the love of God, be patient.  I am about the most impatient person there is and when I finished my first novel I wanted to immediately send query letters to everyone who had ever read a book.  Be patient.  Develop a plan of attack.  Study up on the best way to go about getting published and what suits your particular needs and goals.

John Scanlan, author of Of Guilt and Innocence
Why should people buy your book, Of Guilt and Innocence?
I think people should buy my crime novel, Of Guilt and Innocence, because, simply put, it's just a good story.  It has a suspenseful plot that will make you want to keep reading and it is such an easy read that it won't take you two months to finish it.  You will run the gamut of emotions with each character as more and more is revealed.  And even though it is a crime novel, in the end, you will realize the characters aren't only defined by their culpability in a court of law.  They are defined by their character.  Like in real life.

. . . . . . . .

Thanks for your comments, John, and good luck with your writing.

. . . . . . . .

Discover more about author John Scanlan at his website:
johnfscanlan.weebly.com

. . . . . . . .

Of Guilt and Innocence by John Scanlan is available for Kindle from Amazon:
US: Of Guilt and Innocence by John Scanlan
UK: Of Guilt and Innocence by John Scanlan

No comments:

Post a Comment